9/17/13

My Mother's mason jars Day 17

My Mother's Mason Jars
Soft Pastel on Wallis Paper with a red watercolor underwash

My mother was a canner.  And I being the only daughter, with four brothers...was her assistant...sometimes willing and regrettably, sometimes not.  Those were hot sweltering summers in Pennsylvania peeling peach after peach and pitting cherries. 
 I did some canning when the children were small and Mike had a massive garden...or I would have Mabel a sweet grandma to our family do it for me and I'd give her half!  Best deal ever!
Now, my mother's mason jars are filled with paintbrushes and dirty water.  I hope she will understand.  I like to think she would be knitting beside me as I paint if she were able...and she'd be cheering me on every step of the way...after all, she was my biggest cheerleader ever!

6 comments:

  1. Paintings that bring back memories are always best to me! This is colorful and interesting, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know Grandma was a canner. I love canning peaches every summer. Unfortunately, other things took priority this year and I am already regretting not having shelves full for the upcoming winter.

    I miss her too. I was able to feel Grandma's loving and optimistic spirit through this post. So many memories. She truly is and was our biggest fans. Always seeing our potential and cheering us on.

    She would be so drawn to your paintings, she wouldn't even think twice about the dirty water in her jars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Abby. She has left quite a legacy in her simple humble ways. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice, what a beautiful tribute this painting is to your mother! I loved hearing about the background of these jars - I pictured a scene out of Anne of Green Gables! I imagine your mum would be pleased that items that were such a part of her life now serve you in something that you are so passionate about, albeit for different purposes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Commenting!