9/24/13

Heaven

Frederic Edwin Church Estate Farm
Heaven....blue sky and red barns all in the same place.
Soft Pastel on Wallis with a wash of orange pastel under tone

Frederic Edwin Church was a famed Hudson River painter.  His estate is beautiful including a persian style mansion called Olana.  The day was bright, with a bit of wind...which knocked my easel over twice! (luckily my pastels weren't opened yet or their would have been tears!) A nice young man at home depot assisted me in a few minor repairs on my easel boards since I'm useless without Mike.  All in all, a beautiful, beautiful day.   

A little closer look at my painting....

Susan Ogilvie blocking in her demo with a neutral warm Nupastel

The group...it did warm up and those layers were coming off in the afternoon.  

Susan Ogilvie's color study for the day...She'll take it back to the studio, work on it for about 45 minutes...and it will be amazing.  She is a great teacher...very kind to everyone.  Offers principles so that you can learn to correct yourself after she has shown you on your own painting.  She has helped me immensely with getting the right values in at the beginning and worrying about color later.  I was pretty excited after yesterday's value lesson at my easel...to have the right initial values in when she came around my easel early into my painting.  I'm amazed at how much the value sketch has helped me before I even get to my board both with composition and value.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting!